Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Bryan Bounty

In my attempts to become a domestic diva, I'm planning a raised bed vegetable garden for this spring/summer/fall.  I've meticulously picked out which vegetables I want to grow, and in true OCD form, made a blue print of how I want the garden set up (down to the dimension sizes of the boxes that I need). 




I've told Husband that this is all I want for a Birthday, Anniversary and Valentines present. I've volunteered him and my Father-in-law (who knows nothing of this venture) to also make me a beautiful little gate area around my soon to be gorgeous garden. I'm thinking something similar to this (with an adorable little hand written sign declaring its' family namesake).  






In addition to this, I've already started collecting recipes and am in the beginning stages of learning to can my bountiful vegetables. My dear mother has graciously given me her old canning system, which has an attachment to make your own tomato juice! I even have offers from friends to let me use their compost (God knows how I will transport) and help me maintain the "Bryan Bounty of 2011." 


I've decided to do all of this in the manner of frugality and healthiness. I can't help but be excited, but at the same time I know that this will be a TON of work.  We will see how this goes....I have never had a garden or maintained one. 


Plants cry their gratitude for the sun in green joy.  ~Astrid Alauda

2 comments:

  1. Good for you Abby! Jason and I planted a huge garden two years ago and it was absolutely some of the best times we ever had together. I am a big nerd when it comes to plants so if you need any advice I would love to help. One tip is tomatoes are the devil when you plant to many so make sure you have a plan to use them some how. Looking foward to seeing how it turns out for you. Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh that look so awesome, I can't wait for you to post pics of when yours in complete! You will enjoy your garden, it will give you something to look forward to! I'm so excited for you! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete